So the survey results are in and it was very interesting reading … thank you very much! Overwhelming, whether we’re obsessed with food or not, we all seem to be time poor these days, and always welcome quick recipes to feed the family and healthy snacks to have on hand.
So I have a quick meal idea for you to kick start the school holidays … this tart looks adorable mainly because of the lovely shaped pan and because it crisps up to a beautiful golden brown if you cook it long enough. But most importantly, the kids love it and it’s super easy. You could also adapt this recipe to suit whatever ingredients you had lying around … easy to make it vegetarian … and if you’re looking for a low carb option, just skip on the puff pastry (nasty stuff but tastes so good!) and increase the recipe by 2 eggs. A free tip – if you’re not using pastry, don’t use a loose bottomed pan … it will find a way to leak through!
Bacon, Mushroom and Goats Cheese Tart
2 sheets puff pastry
3 rashers bacon, rind removed, diced
1/4 cup milk or cream (substitute with almond milk for a dairy free option)
6 medium sized cup mushrooms, peeled and quartered
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1 tbsp butter or ghee
100gms goats cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees fan forced.
2. Allow the puff pastry to defrost until it is pliable but not too soft. Shape it into your greased tart pan, removing excess from the edges.
3. Heat the butter or ghee in a frypan and saute the spring onions for 2 minutes before adding the mushrooms. Cook a further 4 minutes until the mushrooms are browned. Remove from the heat and scatter over the puff pastry base. Return pan to the heat.
4. Fry off the bacon for 4-5 minutes until browned. Scatter over the mushrooms in the tart shell.
5. Whisk the eggs with the milk and pour over the bacon and mushrooms in the tart shell.
6. Sprinkle with crumbled goats cheese and cook for 30 minutes or until a deep golden brown colour. Serve warm with a rocket salad or cold with soup.
I’ll be back soon with some super quick and easy snack ideas!
With grace and gusto,