It’s true I have been called “nuts” by a few … but that’s a story for another day! Instead, today I will share one of my signature recipes and one I love to serve up with drinks, or as a lavish garnish to a salad. These nuts make a beautiful gift too instead of fudge or other overly-sweet treats. I served these as “favours” at a baby shower I hosted recently. It’s nice to serve them on the day and then send them home with more to share with their families. These Sweet and Salty Nuts have even made an appearance on the Christmas Day table, and are perfect for entertaining because they can be made well in advance to save you time on the day.
Sweet and Salty Nuts
500gms nuts of your choice (I prefer blanched almonds and pecans but macadamia nuts are decadent too)
1/4 cup sugar (rapadura or coconut sugar is best)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1. Roast the nuts in a moderate (180 degrees) oven for 10mins or until fragrant.
2. Mix the sugar and spices together in a bowl.
3. Heat a large frypan to medium-high heat and pour in the roasted nuts.
4. Immediately add the sugar and spice mix and stir continuously for 10 mins or until the sugar has melted. The sugar and spices should stick to the nuts.
5. Remove from the heat to cool completely – store in an airtight container for up to a week.
With grace and gusto,